Quite the handsome devil.

16 July 2012

New room!

Jackson switched rooms today!  Since he is no longer in the "acute" phase, we moved a few doors down, a little further from all the noise and action of the main desk.  His new room is just a tiny bit bigger, too, which makes a big difference.  What this all means is that we have overcome some major hurdles and are moving into a new phase of treatment.  We are less worried about Jackson's survival and are now looking toward treatment and rehabilitation.  

Today Jackson had a feeding tube put in surgically.  Everything went well with the surgery and we are hoping he will be a little happier without the tube in his mouth that went to his stomach.  It annoyed him and made him gag and he was constantly chewing on it.  Hopefully the new tube will allow better feedings and we can put some weight back on him.

I had an interesting experience today.  I was having a really hard morning, feeling rather sorry for myself.  It seems unfair sometimes that we should have to keep living life, working, paying bills, etc. when there is a crisis in our lives, doesn't it?  But that's the way it is.  Life keeps going.  I'm stressed about what's next for Jackson.  The rehab center we are hoping to send him to won't accept SC medicaid and we're not sure where we are going yet.  I just want the best possible rehabilitative care we can get for him and it's another situation where I feel like I don't have much control over what happens.  All of these things, plus something Jake posted on FB this morning just had me wishing I could go have a good cry somewhere.  While Jackson was in surgery, I walked across the street to the RMcD house to eat some lunch.  I was hoping nobody would talk to me and I could eat quickly and go wallow in my room for a few minutes.  One of the "Dads" came in and started talking to me while I was fixing lunch.  He was asking about Jackson and then he told me about the terrible car accident he was in about 20 years ago.  He had the same type of brain injury Jackson has (only more severe and with other injuries) and told me all about his experience of being in a coma for 2 1/2 months, going through rehabilitation and all about his recovery.  He answered my questions and kept telling me that Jackson would be fine because he is young and healthy and he is already progressing so quickly.  By the time I finished talking to him and ate my lunch, I felt so much better.  I know that this was a little gift from Heavenly Father.  He seems to always know when I am struggling and just what I need.  And this was just what I needed today.  Our problems haven't all gone away, but I felt the peace and comfort that can only come from a loving Father in Heaven to a child in need.

If Jackson could tell all of you what's in his heart, I know he would tell you that he loves you and that he appreciates your prayers and all that you have done for him and his family.  And he would give everyone a big hug if he could.  I have faith that one day he will be able to say and do all of those things himself.

Love,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Your story is a GREAT EXAMPLE of the Tender Mercies of the Lord!!!

    From Brother Bednar's talk:
    "What Are the Tender Mercies of the Lord?

    Since last October I have reflected repeatedly upon the phrase “the tender mercies of the Lord.” Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15).

    Recall how the Savior instructed His Apostles that He would not leave them comfortless. Not only would He send “another Comforter” (John 14:16), even the Holy Ghost, but the Savior said that He would come to them (see John 14:18). Let me suggest that one of the ways whereby the Savior comes to each of us is through His abundant and tender mercies. For instance, as you and I face challenges and tests in our lives, the gift of faith and an appropriate sense of personal confidence that reaches beyond our own capacity are two examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. Repentance and forgiveness of sins and peace of conscience are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. And the persistence and the fortitude that enable us to press forward with cheerfulness through physical limitations and spiritual difficulties are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord."

    Here is the whole talk:

    http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/04/the-tender-mercies-of-the-lord?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this talk Lisa, thank you. We can testify of the tender mercies of the Lord throughout this experience. I have learned that the Lord doesn't leave us alone when we need Him most.

    ReplyDelete